Firefighters work in Zaporizhzhya after a Russian missile attack on a church on August 10, 2023 – Photo: Marina Moiseyenko/AFP
Our article is constantly updated!
- A Russian missile hit a hotel in Zaporizhia on Thursday night. One person was killed and 16 others were wounded in the attack, including four children.
- Nearly a thousand Ukrainian marines have returned to Ukraine from the United Kingdom after taking part in intensive six-month training by the British Royal Marines. To date, more than 20,000 Ukrainians have received training from the UK.
- The Belarusian Ministry of Defense announced that the 6th Special Mechanized Brigade is conducting exercises in the Grodno region of Belarus, near the Polish-Lithuanian border.
On August 7, the Belarusian Ministry of Defense announced that the 6th Special Mechanized Brigade is conducting exercises in the Grodno region in northwestern Belarus, near the Polish and Lithuanian borders, the British Ministry of Defense wrote in its daily report.
The Belarusian Ministry of Defense stated that the purpose of the exercise is for the military to consolidate the experience gained by the Russians in Ukraine. According to the British Ministry of Defense, there is a high probability that advisers and experts of the Wagner Group will join the Belarusian forces who will take part in the training. They added: It is believed that these exercises are part of the routine exercises of the Belarusian army. According to their claim, the 6th Special Mechanized Brigade currently does not even possess the weapons needed for combat capability.
The British indicated that Russia would almost certainly want to use Belarusian forces as a show of force.
Nearly a thousand Ukrainian marines have returned to Ukraine from the United Kingdom after taking part in intensive six-month training by the British Royal Marines.
Armed with new knowledge, the Ukrainian marines have been trained to land inflatable boats. After returning home, they will be sent to the front line. The commandos are trained to use, among other things, light portable anti-tank missiles and Stinger anti-aircraft missiles. Although some Ukrainian soldiers already have experience, many are civilian volunteers with no military background.
British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announced that the UK will take over the training of Ukrainian soldiers during his visit to Kiev in February.
To date, more than 20,000 Ukrainians have received training from the UK, and the British government has pledged to train another 20,000 Ukrainian citizens by the start of 2024.
British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace said of the training, “The training program carried out by elite British commandos will support Ukraine in building its independent maritime power.”
A Russian missile fell in a hotel in the city of Zaporizhia Thursday night, Russian news agency reported Reuters. Local police said an Iskander missile landed in the city. Ukrainian officials said one person was killed and 16 others were wounded in the attack, including four children.
Zaporozhye suffers daily from Russian bombing. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky wrote on Twitter that a fire broke out in a civilian building after the invaders hit it with a missile.
Photos and videos released by Ukrainian officials show a large crater, smashed cars and a badly damaged four-story building. Local media reported that the damaged building was the Reikartz Hotel, which is located in the city center, on the banks of the Dnieper River.
This was the second Russian airstrike against Zaporizhia in 48 hours. On Wednesday, a missile attack killed two young women and a man, and wounded nine others.
- Ukrainians are evacuating residents of thirty-seven settlements in the northeastern Kobyansk region due to increased Russian attacks.
- Hanna Malgar, Deputy Minister of Defense of Ukraine, said that the Ukrainian military has recaptured the heights around Bahamut.
- According to the Russian Defense Ministry, nine Ukrainian drones were destroyed near Crimea and two near Moscow in the early hours of Thursday morning.
- The Russians used drones to destroy an oil depot in the Rivne region in the western part of Ukraine.
- Poland sends a total of ten thousand soldiers to the Belarusian border. Four thousand soldiers will directly support the border guards, and another six thousand will be on standby.
- At the Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant, which is under Russian occupation, power to the outside main line was cut off, and had to be diverted to the only backup line available.
- According to the Ukrainian Navy, a new temporary humanitarian corridor will be opened for ships carrying grain in the Black Sea.
- The Ukrainian Foreign Minister ruled out the possibility of negotiations with Russian President Vladimir Putin, but called for the possibility of negotiations through the mediation of another third party.