Dear Minister Qualtrough:
Thank you for agreeing to serve Canadians as Minister of Sport and Physical Activity.
Two years ago, Canadians elected our government to deliver on what matters to them. You are responsible for delivering on the commitments made to Canadians in 2021, which are outlined in the mandate letters issued to Cabinet in December 2021 (for reference here).
As you assume your new role as Minister of Sport and Physical Activity, I ask that you deliver results for Canadians by delivering on the following commitments.
- Provide leadership and support to the sports community for safe and welcoming return-to-play strategies in light of COVID-19 adaptation requirements, including community sports and Team Canada’s preparations for international sporting events.
- Ensure a comprehensive and balanced strategic approach to the development of sport in Canada that supports the purpose and objectives of Canada’s sport policy, including improving the health and well-being of all Canadians through community sport, increasing access to sport programs, reducing barriers, and achieving social goals. and economic goals through intentional use of sport.
- Ensure the effective launch and implementation of the new independent Safe Sport Mechanism, responsible for managing the implementation of the Global Code of Conduct for Preventing and Addressing Abuse in Sport for federally funded sports organisations.
- Continue to develop the Canadian High Performance Sport Strategy and action plan to help Canadian athletes succeed at the highest levels of competition.
- Working with the sports sector to find solutions to reduce its environmental footprint as well as better engaging our athletes in the conversation about combating climate change.
- Continue to develop additional programs to increase Canadians’ participation in sport, with a particular focus on Indigenous peoples.
- Promote physical activity as an essential component of health and well-being and encourage all Canadians, especially children and youth, to incorporate and increase physical activity into their daily lives.
- Work with Canadian Sport and Physical Activity System partners to ensure that the Canadian Sport and Physical Activity System reflects the diversity of Canada, and that traditionally underrepresented groups have equal access to positive sport and physical activity opportunities.
- Work with regional and regional partners to coordinate efforts in the areas of physical activity, recreation, active and healthy living, including through a more streamlined approach to sports and physical activity policy development and program implementation.
The Honorable Justin Trudeau, Vice-President, MP
Prime Minister of Canada