The Syrian Democratic Forces, a Kurdish-led umbrella organization, confirmed the news in a press release, adding that the target of the attack was one of its training centers in the Al-Omar oil field. It was confirmed that the attack was launched from the governorate area controlled by Damascus.
In a message on Telegram, the pro-Iranian Islamic Resistance militia in Iraq claimed responsibility for the attack.
Head of the UK-based Human Rights Observatory, Rami Abdel Rahman, said: The Iranian-backed groups launched the first attack on a US base after US forces carried out several air strikes in the early hours of Saturday, killing about 45 people. Against the Iraqi and Iranian bases of militias allied with Tehran.
The series of US air strikes were in response to a drone attack late last week on an advanced military base in northeastern Jordan near the Syrian border, killing three American soldiers and wounding more than 40 others. The incident that occurred in Jordan was the first in a series of attacks in the Middle East against American forces that led to the deaths of American soldiers.
The largest militia in the Islamic Republic of Iran, Kataib Hezbollah, said last week that it would not launch any further attacks on US bases. It is not yet known which wing of the IRA carried out the attack (In addition to Kataib Hezbollah, the umbrella organization includes three main militias.)
Cover image: Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces fighters at the Al Omar oil field base in 2019. Cover image illustration, Source: Chris McGrath/Getty Images