A man went on vacation to Rome and spent two weeks in jail for misusing his stolen documents
Aug 31, 2023 – 8:20 p.m
The 40-year-old Gergo Heti arrived in Rome with his fiancée at the beginning of August, but instead of the sights, he could only see the Rebibbia prison on the northeastern edge of the city, and that too from the inside. The man was arrested and spent 13 days in jail before the authorities realized a mistake had been made and released him, the newspaper wrote. La Republica.
The case is very complex, and roughly the following happened:
- The Hetty documents were stolen in Hungary in 2006.
- Using his identity, someone set up companies in Italy,
- The companies went bankrupt and neither the workers nor the subscriptions were paid after the bankruptcy.
- The Italians launched an investigation into the case in 2008.
- In 2014, Hetty was legally sentenced to a year in prison in Milan.
who, on the other hand, knew nothing of everything, and never visited Italy till August.
Which is why he was surprised when, three days after their arrival in Rome, the police arrived at their place of residence and detained the man citing the valid arrest warrant:
He was transferred from the hotel to the prison, where he spent 13 days.
According to his lawyer, Hetty was only able to contact the consulate through him. The Milan Court of Appeal finally ordered Hetty’s release as a result of these arguments, and they are now seeking legal redress with the help of Consul Silla Papp.