On the outskirts of Dombóvár, on the south bank of the Kapos River, are the remains of the former residence of the Dombai family, where at the request of the city municipality and according to the announcement, the fieldwork, which began in July, is expected to continue until mid-August.
As they write, the floor plan of the castle and its main construction periods have already been largely reconstructed in the excavations of previous years. Built at the end of the 14th or beginning of the 15th century, the castle along the Nightmare River was first rebuilt at the end of the Sigismund era. Subsequently, a colonnaded porch was built on the east wall of the building’s south wing, traces of which can still be seen on the aforementioned pillar. Finally, the Renaissance was probably rebuilt in the 1520s.
Based on the carved stones found in excavations to date and the written sources available, the castle’s architectural details were also endowed with important decorative elements from the Renaissance. By the beginning of the 16th century, the Dombai family castle had become a fortress with a size of about 50 times 32 meters. The fortress was occupied by Turkish armies in the 16th century. Written data about some constructions, especially for defense purposes, have survived from this period, details of which were found during the previous year. The castle was demolished in 1702 by the Vienna Court of the Junta.
Regular exploration of the east side of the building’s south wing also began. The statement states that these areas are 800 square metres, but on the open roofs, the excavation is still in various stages.
This year’s plans include the completion of partial excavation works for the northern wing and the so-called inner western tower, as well as the southern wing that started in previous years, and the continuation of the wall dating back to the Turkish era. Occupation.