Index – Culture – The shortest international bridge owned by Hungary in the world

Iserziget sauce

The 1,200-kilometer St. Lawrence River not only connects the Great Lakes with the Atlantic Ocean, but also forms the border between the United States and Canada on a relatively longer stretch. The river licks the shores of nearly two thousand islands and 104 coral reefs. One of the more interesting pairs of islands with a history is the half-hectare Zafikon and the half-hectare river embankment called Kiwa.

Due to the storms of history, when the border between the United States and Canada was drawn along the St. Lawrence River in 1793, the larger island came under the jurisdiction of Ottawa and the smaller one under the jurisdiction of Washington.

Partition aside, in 1902 businessman Elmer Andres had an attractive-looking villa built on the larger Canadian island of Zavikon. Since the home builder wanted to create a vegetable garden and a small pier around his home, he implemented it on a smaller island belonging to the United States. He also built a 9.5-meter wooden bridge between the jewels, so that he would not have to jump into a boat due to hoeing and pecking, cross it to his garden belonging to the neighboring country, and then return to his house. Family House.

Because of the small bridge and the curiosity of the location, the American press immediately dubbed the Zavikon Islands a “backward border crossing” and “the world’s shortest international crossing.” As a result of the propaganda, the flag of the British Empire was flown on the larger island, and the flag of the United States on the smaller one. Keen surveyors even erected a geodesic stone in the middle of the smaller mound of land. However, the St. Lawrence River had no regard for national boundaries. In 1967, the US-Canada Boundary Commission had to redefine the country’s borders. Then the smaller island came under the jurisdiction of Canada.

See also  This year, the parrot may not be New Zealanders' favorite bird

Hungarian island on the border between the United States and Canada

However, respecting tradition, the Andres family living on the island will continue to fly the flags of the former lordship of the river pearls. If we take a closer look at the pictures taken today, we can see that the Hungarian flag is also decorated in the middle of the small wooden bridge. It’s not a fraud, it’s not an illusion, we can really see the galactic flag. How did he get there?

The answer is simple. The Island Party was purchased in 1976 by Donald Rickard, a university lecturer and senior research associate who died last year. And his wife, Julie Recai, is of Hungarian descent but was born in Toronto Degree in political science Writer, freelance journalist, and former Toronto International Film Festival host Head of the press. The parents of a woman who is considered a heavy smoker are d. Janos Rekai was a surgeon and Katie Rekai was a broadcaster and journalist born as Katalin Desider on October 20, 1921 in Budapest.

Jolie’s ancestors defected from Hungary, which had turned into a communist puppet state, in 1948. The family emigrated first to Paris and then to Canada. At first, Katie Rickay was a weekly commentator Hungarian offer Columnist for the radio program A kaleidoscope of the Anglo-Hungarian Cultural Journal, and then a co-founder of the Canadian Ethnic Media Association. One of the main tasks of the Hungarian lady who chose to immigrate was to preserve the diverse Canadian culture and to nurture the relationships between the communities.

He has organized reading tours, introduction opportunities, and exhibitions for foreign authors. His work was awarded the Cross of Canada.

The Canadian press merely referred to the Hungarian immigrant as the “First Lady of Toronto.” By the way, Katie Rickay became really famous for her 20-volume series of children’s books, in which she tried to introduce Canada to the multiracial children of the world with the help of four animal heroes. By the way, Julie’s father who bought the island is a doctor who died in 1978. It was Janos Rekai who founded it in Toronto in 1957 with his brother Dr. With internist Pal Rekai

Canada’s first “multicultural” hospital and nursing home officially communicates in 36 languages,

which now operates as one of the central hospitals in Toronto. Dr. Janos Rekai was also awarded the Canadian Cross of Honor.