Tips For Rooming With Your Best Friends
As college students, we are eager to explore our independence away from parents, siblings, and the things that we are used to seeing on a daily basis. One of the things that a lot of us do is look for apartments or try to get the single suite so that our friends can hang out and all that good stuff. For those of us who are antsy and want to move in with our friends here are a few tips for rooming with you best friend that may make you second guess that commitment… Or not.
1. Make sure that you and your best friend are on the same page at ALL times.
2. Be mindful that staying with a BFF several nights is NOT the equivalent to living with them.
3. Be respectful of them and their personal belongings. Never assume. Always ask!
4. Try to clean up after yourself. It can be offensive when everything is always dirty- even if it is “your” space.
5. Set clear boundaries in the beginning.
6. Remember that the both of you will make new friends- even though you’re living together (be ready to spend time with new people).
The most important thing to remember is that you are both starting a new journey in your lives and there will be bumps on the road. But there is good news! Change is good. Challenges are great and they help you grow. In college, you will make mistakes, you will face hard times, and things will seem impossible at times-even with your BEST friend. However, you will OVERCOME those challenges and you will become a greater, more intelligent and more independent individual! Cheers to this school year! Make it the best year and LEARN FROM IT!