Even the Duchess's inner circle was unaware of the operation.
It is understood that the Duchess of Wales did not even tell those close to the royal family about the planned abdominal surgery, which will require her to spend two weeks in hospital.
– New York Post (@nypost) January 24, 2024
Given Katalin's private life, the palace did not want to provide more information, but said they would inform the public about the princess's condition.
The same was said by an insider to Us Weekly, who said that Katalin will share more information about her surgery in due course.
Catherine, 42, is currently recovering in a London clinic, where she will be under observation for two weeks, and will not return to her royal duties until after Easter.
According to sources who spoke to People, the news came as a surprise to Katalin's loved ones, especially since there were no signs of anything wrong before she was admitted to the hospital on January 16.
The Duchess was last seen in public at Christmas Mass on December 25 with her husband, Prince William, and their three children, Prince George, 10, Princess Sarolta, 8, and Prince Louis, 5.
The royal family underwent several surgeries this month. Katalin's abdominal surgery was canceled last week, and 75-year-old King Karolyi had surgery for an enlarged prostate this week.
Sarah, Duchess of York, 64, the ex-wife of the late Queen Elizabeth's son Andras, was diagnosed with malignant melanoma this week, just six months after undergoing a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery for breast cancer.
Separate members of the royal family, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, wished Charles and Catherine well. It is known that Harry, 39, was unaware of the interventions, and only learned about his loved ones' surgeries from the news.